Microbial infections are common and we all get affected at one point in our lives. One of these many infections is from fungi and often affects the skin.
Fungal infection is often called the “bane of modern existence”.
This is because they thrive in humid, unsanitary and closed spaces; something we can’t avoid in this modern society. In fact, incidences of fungal infection have increased since more of us started wearing closed shoes.
We wear constricting non-ventilated shoes and socks so that our feet do not see the sunlight for days. The general lack of ventilation for our feet gives room for fungi to grow. It then manifests itself in the form of skin disorders like athlete’s foot, jock itch, ringworm and so on.
Practising hygiene is paramount.
Shoes and socks should be dry, clean and well-aired after every use. Use a powder that absorbs perspiration from body parts that tend to keep moisture.
Clean towels, cloths, gym bags, and clothes often.
Don’t forget: supplement these tips by using an effective foot care cream that protects your feet from infection.
Common Types of Fungal Infection
The fungus is usually contracted in warm, humid environments such as swimming pools, gymnasiums, and locker rooms. You can also catch the infection by coming into contact with objects used by an infected person.
Don’t use their towels and clothes for instance if you know they have an infection.
However, it could affect you by walking over a surface where an afflicted person has walked before you.
Fungal infections are easy to pick up.
Athlete’s foot is one of the most common fungal infection. The proper medical term is “Tinea Pedis” and it usually affects the bottom of your feet and the spaces between toes.
The main symptoms are scaly skin, redness, itching and in some cases, blisters.
Toenail fungal infection manifests itself in the form of discoloured, flaky, jagged toenails. The nails may appear yellowed and their surface is uneven to the touch. It is often the result of fungus from another area spreading to the nails.
Remedies for Foot Fungal Infection
You can’t walk around without shoes or socks all the time to help keep your feet aired well. But, you can incorporate a basic hygiene routine to maintain the health of your feet.
Partnered with a good over-the-counter anti-fungal cream, you help stop foot fungus.
There are many options in the market to choose from. Here are our best picks:
1. The Yellow Bird All Natural Foot Cream
- Total Foot Care- Everything you need to keep your...
- A Natural Alternative - Many foot creams are...
- Long Lasting Coverage – Unlike other foot creams...
- Rejuvenating- Massage your sore feet with this...
Need a product that keeps your feet safe from all kinds of infection while also nourishing the skin? The Yellow Bird All Natural Foot Cream is the product for you.
- Composed of organic essential oils like lavender, eucalyptus, tea tree and peppermint.
- This cream is a great massaging lotion that boosts blood circulation to the feet.
- It also locks in moisture and inhibits fungal and bacterial growth.
- Useful in soothing inflammation and pain from your feet.
If you want to give your feet the spa treatment and also keep away infection, this is the ideal choice.
2. Lotrimin Athlete’s Foot Cream
This brand is a trusted over-the-counter product for treating athlete’s foot. Lotrimin is also effective for other fungal infections such as ringworm.
- It heals scaling and flaky skin.
- It soothes irritation and burning in the affected area.
- Non-greasy, unscented and does not leave a residue.
- You don’t need to wait for the cream to absorb into your skin and do its work.
3. Family Care Clotrimazole Anti-Fungal Cream
- Clotrimazole Anti Fungal Cream
- Compare to the active ingredient of Lotrimin
- Cures Most Athlete's Foot
- Anti Fungal Cream 1% USP
Clotrimazole is the active ingredient in most anti-fungal products. It is especially effective if your daily schedule involves more activity than average.
For instance, a sports activity, walking for long distances or labour-intensive work. You are more susceptible to fungal infections because of the heat, sweat, and proximity to other, infected individuals.
Keeping a pack of a Family Care cream always comes in handy.
- A common risk of fungal infection is that it can spread to other parts of your body. This cream not only heals the infection in one part of the body but also prohibits its spread to other parts.
- Relieves burning, itching and cracking skin.
- Is made to help cure you of athlete’s foot.
You should apply the cream twice daily after cleaning and drying the affected area.
4. Foot Finish Foot Repair Cream
- Athlete's Foot Cream: Combat both athlete's foot...
- Intensive Heel and Foot Moisturizer: Our...
- Tea Tree Formula with Natural Ingredients:...
- Comprehensive Skin Relief: Expertly formulated to...
Foot Finish is the go-to option for all foot-related dermatological ailments.
- Packed with rose, tea tree, and eucalyptus Essential Oils, this cream gives your feet the antiseptic benefits of all these ingredients.
- While it nourishes the skin, it is also strong enough to inhibit the most stubborn of fungal and bacterial growth that affects feet and toenails.
- Helps soothe inflammation and irritation of the skin while killing foot odour causing microbes. You can even apply it to repair cracked heels
. Usershave also reported that it moisturizes feet well, and helps with Diabetic Neuropathy for those with the condition.
5. Kerasal Cream
One of the most discomforting fungal infections is the kind that affects toenails. It leads to rough, jagged toenails which discolour and crack, exposing the skin beneath to further contamination.
This anti-fungal cream addresses this, also treating fungal infections like athlete’s foot.
- Improves the appearance of your fungus damaged and discoloured toenails.
- Comes with an easy-to-use nozzle pack that helps restore nail thickness in a fortnight.
- Kills infection-causing fungi and also helps in relieving itching, scaling, and inflammation.
Remember – Nothing beats a consistent and careful foot care routine to stop fungal infections.