Foot Creams: The Best Lotions To Treat Your Feet
There are many foot creams, lotions and sprays, all designed to help you treat foot conditions at home.
If you suffer from foot or toenail fungus, have diabetes and need to concentrate on moisturising your feet and legs, or have scaly or cracked skin and athletes foot, we have the creams for you.
We have listed the best foot creams to treat all of these problems so you can find the perfect lotions for you.
Our top 5 creams to treat fungal foot infections.
Microbial infections are common and we all get affected at one point in our lives. One of these many infections is from fungi and often affects the skin.
Fungal infection is often called the "bane of modern existence".
This is because they thrive in humid, unsanitary and closed spaces; something we can't avoid in this modern society. In fact, incidences of fungal infection have increased since more of us started wearing closed shoes.
We wear constricting non-ventilated shoes and socks so that our feet do not see the sunlight for days. The general lack of ventilation for our feet gives room for fungi to grow. It then manifests itself in the form of skin disorders like athlete’s foot, jock itch, ringworm and so on.
Practising hygiene is paramount.
Shoes and socks should be dry, clean and well-aired after every use. Use a powder that absorbs perspiration from body parts that tend to keep moisture.
Clean towels, cloths, gym bags, and clothes often.
Don't forget: supplement these tips by using an effective foot care cream that protects your feet from infection.
Common Types of Fungal Infection
The fungus is usually contracted in warm, humid environments such as swimming pools, gymnasiums, and locker rooms. You can also catch the infection by coming into contact with objects used by an infected person.
Don't use their towels and clothes for instance if you know they have an infection.
However, it could affect you by walking over a surface where an afflicted person has walked before you.
Fungal infections are easy to pick up.
Athlete’s foot is one of the most common fungal infection. The proper medical term is "Tinea Pedis" and it usually affects the bottom of your feet and the spaces between toes.
The main symptoms are scaly skin, redness, itching and in some cases, blisters.
Toenail fungal infection manifests itself in the form of discolored, flaky, jagged toenails. The nails may appear yellowed and their surface is uneven to the touch. It is often the result of fungus from another area spreading to the nails.
Remedies for Foot Fungal Infection
You can't walk around without shoes or socks all the time to help keep your feet aired well. But, you can incorporate a basic hygiene routine to maintain the health of your feet.
Partnered with a good over-the-counter anti-fungal cream, you help stop foot fungus.
There are many options in the market to choose from. Here are our best picks:
1. The Yellow Bird All Natural Foot Cream
Need a product that keeps your feet safe from all kinds of infection while also nourishing the skin? The Yellow Bird All Natural Foot Cream is the product for you.
- Composed of organic essential oils like lavender, eucalyptus, tea tree and peppermint.
- This cream is a great massaging lotion that boosts blood circulation to the feet.
- It also locks in moisture and inhibits fungal and bacterial growth.
- Useful in soothing inflammation and pain from your feet.
If you want to give your feet the spa treatment and also keep away infection, this is the ideal choice.
2. Lotrimin Athlete’s Foot Cream
This brand is a trusted over-the-counter product for treating athlete’s foot. Lotrimin is also effective for other fungal infections such as ringworm.
- It heals scaling and flaky skin.
- It soothes irritation and burning in the affected area.
- Non-greasy, unscented and does not leave a residue.
- You don't need to wait for the cream to absorb into your skin and do its work.
3. Family Care Clotrimazole Anti-Fungal Cream
Clotrimazole is the active ingredient in most anti-fungal products. It is especially effective if your daily schedule involves more activity than average.
For instance, a sports activity, walking for long distances or labor-intensive work. You are more susceptible to fungal infections because of the heat, sweat, and proximity to other, infected individuals.
Keeping a pack of a Family Care cream always comes in handy.
- A common risk of fungal infection is that it can spread to other parts of your body. This cream not only heals the infection in one part of the body but also prohibits its spread to other parts.
- Relieves burning, itching and cracking skin.
- Is made to help cure you of athlete’s foot.
You should apply the cream twice daily after cleaning and drying the affected area.
4. Foot Finish Foot Repair Cream
Foot Finish is the go-to option for all foot-related dermatological ailments.
- Packed with rose, tea tree, and eucalyptus Essential Oils, this cream gives your feet the antiseptic benefits of all these ingredients.
- While it nourishes the skin, it is also strong enough to inhibit the most stubborn of fungal and bacterial growth that affects feet and toenails.
- Helps soothe inflammation and irritation of the skin while killing foot odor causing microbes.
You can even apply it to repair cracked heels.
- Users have also reported that it moisturizes feet well, and helps with Diabetic Neuropathy for those with the condition.
5. Kerasal Cream
One of the most discomforting fungal infections is the kind that affects toenails. It leads to rough, jagged toenails which discolor and crack, exposing the skin beneath to further contamination.
This anti-fungal cream addresses this, also treating fungal infections like athlete’s foot.
- Improves the appearance of your fungus damaged and discolored toenails.
- Comes with an easy-to-use nozzle pack that helps restore nail thickness in a fortnight.
- Kills infection-causing fungi and also helps in relieving itching, scaling, and inflammation.
Remember - Nothing beats a consistent and careful foot care routine to stop fungal infections.
6 soothing creams to treat Athletes Foot.
Athlete’s foot is a common skin ailment that caused by fungal infection. Unlike its name, you can find it both among athletes and non-athletes.
Any moisture retained between the toes, shoes or socks and insufficient aeration of your feet can contribute to this disorder and it can affect your nails and hands too.
Common symptoms of athletes foot.
- Flaking skin
In some cases, the symptoms might not be so severe and the infection could only give you dry flaky skin.
Luckily for you, there are many topical formulations for the treatment of athlete’s foot - available both in spray and cream variants.
Our choice of the best creams to treat athletes foot.
Here is a list of the best foot creams and sprays for athlete’s foot.
1. Puriya Wonder Balm
This balm is a potent formulation that combines the power of various essential oils.
Puriya Wonder Balm is an all-purpose cream that you can use to fight a skin infections besides to athlete’s foot.
- Contains essential oils - tea tree, eucalyptus and lavender - which are all known for being antiseptic, inhibiting microbial growth and preserving the health of your skin.
- Soothes dry and irritated skin, lightens scars due to skin wounds and heals blisters.
- It is suitable for use all over the body, even your face.
- Use it on a regular basis to prevent infections, especially if you are a regular at the gym, swimming pool or sports complex where chances of infection are abundant.
2. Pawaca Eczema & Psoriasis Natural Skin Therapy Spray
The Pawaca Natural Skin Therapy Spray clears up the affected area within 2-3 days, and the spray application offers you the assurance of complete hygiene while using it.
- It is available in a tube variant.
- It is useful not only for tinea but also for a wide range of skin ailments such as acne, pruritis vulvae, prickly heat and haemorrhoids.
- This foot spray derives its ingredients from traditional Chinese medicine.
- It is a clinically proven, steroid-free, fragrance-free treatment for athlete’s foot and other skin conditions.
3. Foot Finish Foot Repair Cream
The Foot Finish Foot Repair Cream is a very effective foot cream that heals athlete’s foot, ringworm and psoriasis which affect the soles, toes and nails.
- It is both anti-fungal and antibacterial and can be useful to treat a variety of foot infections.
- It heals the affected area and prevents the spread of infection to other parts, as is common with Tinea infections.
- This cream also helps to fight foot odour.
It is a versatile foot care cream with natural essential oils that protect and soothe your feet.
4. Lotrimin AF Athlete’s Foot Deodorant Spray Powder
While it is necessary to address foot infections, the heaviness of the moisturizing and antiseptic creams can be a major put-off.
The greasy feeling that many foot creams leave on your feet can be rather uncomfortable and you have to wait for the lotion to dry before you can put on shoes and socks.
If this bothers you, Lotrimin AF takes away the tedium and the greasiness of foot creams with its spray powder formulation.
The spray dries well which makes it the ideal companion for trips and for foot care on the go.
It treats scaly and irritated skin caused by athlete’s foot.
5. Family Care Clotrimazole Antifungal Cream
Family Care Antifungal Cream is a good over-the-counter drug that helps you contain any foot infection, provide relief and comes at a very affordable price.
With 1% Clotrimazole as its active ingredient, Family Care’s cream is effective for treating infections caused by fungus.
Whilst you can use it for foot infections, it is good for most sensitive areas if you are suffering a skin infection, as long as you keep it away from your eyes.
6. Ting Athlete's Foot and Jock Itch Anti-Fungal Spray Powder
If you are often plagued by fungal infections on your feet, you need something that can heal your infection without being too messy, or burn too deep a hole in your pocket every few months.
Ting Antifungal Powder Spray is the answer to all your concerns.
- Ting Powder Spray inhibits fungal growth and treats not only athlete’s foot but also jock-itch and ringworm.
- Not only is the powder spray application a godsend, but it also leaves very little residue as compared to other sprays.
- It is not too expensive and you can incorporate it into your regular routine without worrying about the price.
Our Top Athlete's Foot Treatment Tips
- You can treat athlete’s foot if you follow basic hygiene without any lapses.
- Shoes and socks should always be clean, well-aired and dry. You should ensure that your toe gaps are dry after every wash, especially if you are more sensitive to infections.
- As athlete’s foot spreads by contact, spaces around an individual who has the infection should be sterile and any affected areas cleaned and treated to prevent the fungus from spreading.
- You can incorporate an over-the-counter product for regular upkeep, hydration and disinfection of skin into your daily hygiene routine.
- While most of the foot care creams and sprays I have reviewed above use natural ingredients without a prescription, you should not ignore any serious infection and you should consult a podiatrist or doctor if it continues to spread.
The 5 best creams for diabetes sufferers.
If you are diabetic or provide care to an individual who has diabetes, you are aware of the extreme necessity of taking care of a diabetic’s feet, among other precautions to maintain health.
Thankfully, there are plenty of foot creams available on the market that make this task very easy. Here is a list of our top picks of the best creams:
** I review these creams further down the page if you want more information.
Why do you need to use foot creams if you are diabetic?
It is imperative you, as a diabetic, take care of your feet because the condition results in a disorder called diabetic neuropathy.
Diabetic neuropathy causes nerve damage. If your nerves, especially at the extremities like hands and feet, are damaged, they become numb and lose sensation.
In such a case, if there is any injury to your foot, it could go unattended for a long time before you even notice. The situation is exacerbated by the slow healing process that is characteristic of diabetes, and the wound, even if it is a minor cut or a hangnail, could develop an infection.
If the infection becomes serious before treatment is sought, it could lead to deformation, and even call for an amputation to prevent its spread further inside the body.
You are also at a greater risk for foot ulcers, fungal growth and blisters. Skin that is either too dry or constantly under humid conditions is more vulnerable to damage.
To avoid this, carve out time for regular foot care. You will need to keep your surroundings hygienic, exercising precaution to prevent injuries to your feet and check regularly for any damage.
You can also invest in a good foot cream that not only keeps the skin on your feet hydrated and healthy but also fights off infections from minor wounds.
Here is a review of some of the best foot creams available in the market for people with diabetes.
1. O’Keeffe’s for Healthy Feet Foot Cream
Specially made for dry skin, this products is a trusted foot cream that has been used for years. O’Keefe’s brand is a well-trusted brand among consumers and this is another wonderful product from them!
- The lotion has a thick consistency that gets absorbed into the skin readily, hydrates the skin without making it greasy and creates a protective barrier over the skin to prevent further loss of moisture.
- It is also unscented and hypoallergenic, so you can rest assured that this foot cream does its job well without causing unnecessary side effects due to added fragrances and colours.
- It gets absorbed in a matter of minutes, repairs cracked heels and thus helps prevent major infection risks by healing broken skin.
The best time to apply this is right before bed after cleaning your feet thoroughly.
2. Anastasia Healthy Skin Diapedic Foot and Leg Treatment Pain Relieving Cream
This is a multipurpose cream that not only moisturises but as the name suggests, also offers temporary respite from pain due to neuropathy, blisters, bruises, calluses and arthritis.
While diabetics are often cautioned against applying moisturising creams between toes as the moisture might cause fungal infection, Anastasia Healthy Skin is easily absorbed into the skin, thus eliminating chances of infection due to moisture retention which makes this a wonderful pain relieving cream.
- It offers the twin benefits of hydration and exfoliation to dry skin, that is, it moisturises and also aids in the removal of dead skin that makes your feet rough and dull.
- It is specially formulated to tackle the foot-related problems associated with diabetes and is therefore composed of physician-approved ingredients.
- An added plus is that it is suitable for use not just for the feet, but for all other body parts.
3. Dr Greenfield’s Diabetic FootCream Plus
Another foot cream that is specially designed to assist diabetics in foot care, Dr Greenfield’s Diabetic FootCream Plus is an anti-fungal preparation that works effectively to fight off infection.
It is targeted towards the commonly occurring athlete’s foot, which causes redness, scaling and itching between the toes - a vulnerable area for diabetics.
- The active component in this formulation is tolnaftate 1%, which is clinically proven to fight fungal infections.
- With regular usage, occurrences of athlete’s foot and ringworm can be decreased.
- In addition to acting as an antiseptic, it also softens the skin, heals calluses, broken skin and bruises to provide moisture without the risk of contracting an infection, and this works perfectly for diabetics whose feet need special attention.
4. Pedifix Deep Healing Foot Cream
The Pedifix Deep Healing Foot Cream is an excellent option for everyday care of your feet. It hydrates dry skin, repairs cracked heels and nourishes your skin with its non-toxic, vitamin-enriched formula.
It is hailed for its superior hydration power with just a few days of usage.
- It can heal visibly dry, undernourished and cracked heels with regular application.
- Its fragrance-free formula is safe for use by diabetics as well as people with sensitive skin.
- It also softens calluses, and is ideal both for everyday care, and concentrated treatment of conditions resulting from dry skin in diabetics.
5. Eucerin Diabetics Relief Crem
Diabetics require constant care of their feet, and Eucerin cream offers just that. It results in visibly softer and more hydrated skin after just one application.
- It comes with an easy to use and hygienic tube packaging, which makes economical application feasible as well as sanitary.
- The formulation is enriched with alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) that are clinically proven to provide nourishment to dry, rough skin.
- It is readily absorbed in the skin, does not leave a greasy residue and does not irritate the skin with unnecessary fragrances and other additives.
All diabetics, given their vulnerability to foot injuries and consequent hazards should make skincare for their feet an essential part of their routine.
In addition to prevention of damage and regular checking of feet for injuries, people with diabetes should also include regular checkups with their podiatrist and a careful and regular care routine to keep nails trimmed and skin clean and hydrated, to ensure that their feet are at their best health.
Choosing the best diabetic foot cream to suit your needs and address all your issues also goes a long way in keeping your feet nourished and preventing risks to your health.
7 Creams for treating your cracked skin.
Let’s face it – cracked heels during open sandal season aren’t really the best of sights.
Your feet bear your weight all the time – whether you are standing, walking, or exercising. All these activities put immense strain on your heels. Now, while heels are designed to bear weight and compress and expand with the movement of your feet, dry skin in this area can make this job difficult.
The skin on your heels can be elastic enough if it is healthy, properly nourished and hydrated. But poor skin care, negligence, weather and certain medical conditions can lead to excessively dry skin, which breaks and leads to cracks.
Cracked heels usually do not cause major discomfort. However, neglecting this condition for too long can result in deep fissures in the skin, which exposes the organs beneath to damage. This is especially true if you are a diabetic and have a slow recovery process.
Therefore, it becomes necessary to have a regular foot care routine in place, so that cracked heels and associated ailments can be kept at bay. Whether you are afflicted by cracked heels or simply want to take better care of your feet, a good foot cream is a must-have.
Here is a list of some of the best foot creams for cracks and fissures that you can use to pamper your feet.
Now let's look at them in more detail, highlighting the benefits of each one and how they can help you get softer and better looking feet and heels.
1. Carapex Super Moisturizing Butter Cream
Carapex Super Moisturizing Butter Cream provides exactly what its name suggests – deep hydration and softness.
- Its ingredients, cocoa and shea butters are well-known for their moisture-locking and skin nourishing properties.
- In addition, it has a super moisturizing complex that helps hydrate the skin and soften calluses.
- Enriched with vitamin E which is highly beneficial for the skin, this foot cream does a great job of repairing cracks in the heel pads, exfoliating dead skin and rejuvenating your feet.
- The light, non-greasy formula absorbs into the skin readily.
While it is an excellent choice to repair damage to your heels, it also works well as a regular foot care product.
2. Miracle of Aloe Miracle Heel Stick
If you suffer from cracked heels, you know the discomforting feeling of your flaky, dry skin snagging against fabric – on your clothes, the linen or your socks and stockings.
If this very thought induces cringe, then you need the Miracle Heel Stick by Miracle of Aloe.
- With UltraAloe as its active ingredient, the Miracle Heel Stick is a roll-on ointment that soothes cracks and softens the skin on your heels.
- A bunch of healing ingredients like cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut, safflower, tea tree oil and many other essential oils make this an effective choice for anyone seeking quick relief from cracked heels.
- An added plus is the no-mess application that makes the Miracle Heel Stick very travel-friendly.
3. Curel Foot Therapy Cream
Some of us neglect our feet to the point that walking around with cracked skin becomes a painful task.
In such instances, your heels need an ointment that can provide quick healing. Enter Curel Foot Therapy Cream!
- The cream is thick but readily absorbed into your skin.
- The ingredients - coconut cream, vitamin E and our favorite, shea butter - work together to keep your heels smooth, supple and hydrated.
The results are visible in merely two days. True to its name, Curel offers therapy to your distressed heels. Just dab some on clean heels right after a shower and let your feet rest.
4. Zim’s Max Foot Creme
A no-frills, intense moisturizing formulation for your feet, Zim’s Max Foot Creme can very well become your go-to product for your skin care regime.
Not only is it highly effective for healing cracked heels, but its deep moisturizing properties mean that it can also be used to soothe extremely dry skin on the rest of your body, on your hands, knees and elbows for instance.
- Contains the goodness of arnica, aloe vera and l-arginine (an amino acid that preserves the elasticity of skin with age)
- Zim’s Max Foot Creme is a travel-friendly, non-greasy and safe option that is also cruelty-free.
5. Urea 40% Healing Foot Cream
Urea 40% Healing Foot Cream by Amelie Monnier is a result of American medicinal innovation with French beauty industry know-how.
A formulation made with organic and cruelty-free ingredients, this cream is not just beneficial for your cracked heels, but also works wonders on knees, elbows and toenails that become dull and unsightly due to the accumulation of dead skin.
- The FDA-approved cream is loaded with ingredients universally proven to improve skin texture and provide hydration - urea, aloe vera, Moroccan argan oil, castor seed oil, arnica, tea tree oil, coconut oil and others.
- All the ingredients are vegan and organic. You can, therefore, be assured that you are also doing your bit for the environment while taking good care of your feet.
- Use this ointment for healing cracks, exfoliating dead skin and maintaining moisture and suppleness in your skin.
6. O’Keeffe’s for Healthy Feet Exfoliating Foot Cream
O’Keeffe’s is a brand known for its range of economical, convenient and highly effective skin care products. The Exfoliating Foot Cream is another offering from this range, and it does an excellent job of delivering the promise.
- O’Keeffe’s for Healthy Feet softens callused skin and visibly reduces cracks with only one use.
- Its moisturizing effect stays active for 48 hours, and in addition to this, it also assists cell turnover. It means that the dead skin cells which accumulate to roughen the skin on your feet and dull its appearance are sloughed off, allowing for new skin to appear, making your feet look young and nourished.
- It is hypoallergenic and suitable for use by diabetics.
7. Skintegra Rapid Crack Repair Cream
If your cracked heels are causing you immense discomfort and need immediate attention, Skintegra Rapid Crack Repair Cream should be your go-to option. Endorsed by dermatologists and podiatrists, the concentrated formula in this cream yields results in just one day.
- This cream, which is composed of Accelerated Fatty Acids, is suitable for use all over the body, replenishing skin in dry, damaged areas with its essential fatty acids-rich ingredients.
- It is phthalate-, steroid- and paraben-free, making it a safe yet highly effective foot cream for cracked heels.
Foot care should include regular scrubbing, cleaning and moisturizing, ensuring that you do not go overboard with either activity. The water used to soak feet or showers should not be too hot, as the heat strips away the protective moisture barrier of the skin.
When the affected area is clean, a good moisturizing foot cream should be applied and allowed to penetrate your skin.
Following these simple steps can ensure that your heels are soft, your skin is hydrated and your feet are happy and fit for work.